Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Spotlight Tuesday: The Horus Heresy

(Cover art for John French's The Crimson Fist)
Reading has always been a passion of mine since I was but a child. Books captivated my imagination and introduced me to worlds unlike anything I could have fathomed before. My novels have brought me joy, filled me with suspense and horror, and consumed my mind with a hunger for more. 

In aspect, the Warhammer universe never ceases to amaze and continue my enjoyment in a universe I love to learn more about. One such series, and the spotlight of this blog, is the Horus Heresy novels. Set in the sci-fi Warhammer 40k universe, the Horus Heresy series tell the story of the beginnings of the Imperium of Man and the rise of the Space Marines. How the God-Emperor of Mankind arose to power and united the warring misguided worlds scattered across the stars in a mighty empire of unquestionable strength.

Yet after all the bloodshed and rebellions that had to be suppressed, the greatest test had yet to come in the form of betrayal. Entire chapters of Space Marine legions descended into madness, following the corruption of Warmaster Horus, the favorite son the Emperor, by the dark gods of Chaos. Thus began a war like no other, tearing the Imperium apart by traitors and the unspeakable horrors of daemons. 


(Cover art for John French's The Crimson Fist)
The first book that I read of the series was “Know No Fear: The Battle of Calth” by Dan Abnett dating all the way back to 2012. It wasn’t the first of the series, but it was the first time I got to really read about, in detail, the Horus Heresy. You see, this event was massive. It is referred to in almost every book involving heresy, daemons, and traitors. Since that is in a lot of the books, you began to feel like you’re missing out on something big.

That’s what the Horus Heresy novels do, fill in the gap in an extremely satisfying way. Other blogs have placed have been dedicated to talking about it in its entirety, such as the Heresy 30K blog, and a mobile game based on the series has also come out recently titled Warhammer 40k: Dropship Assault. A tabletop game about the Horus Heresy is also out, so there is a lot of dedication to this specific time in the 40k universe.

That said, I am curious as to the favorite novels of others. Share your favorite novels in the comment section. What is your favorite series, and is there a specific novel in that series that has a special place in your collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment